ISRO offers free online course in remote sensing technology for students, participants get certificates
ISRO is currently accepting applications for another free online course offered by its center, the Indian Institute of Remote Sensing (IIRS). The course entitled “Utility of remote sensing and GIS for environmental studies” is offered to school students. The course lasts approximately five days and will run from July 26-30, 2021. Participants of this online course can also receive an ISRO certificate.
The course is open to all Indian school students in grades 10, 11 and 12. The course will focus on the principles of remote sensing and geographic information system and their applications to environmental studies. Interested students will need to register for the course through the IIRS Edusat portal before July 20, 2021.
Objective of the ISRO Free Online Course in Remote Sensing Technology for Students
According to ISRO, the course aims to educate students about remote sensing technology and its use for the study of planet Earth and its environment through informative lectures and demonstrations. Remote sensing and GIS technology can be used to understand the intricacies of the environment. “Exposing the knowledge on the use of satellite data through GIS and image processing software in environmental sciences is of great significance as it would help students understand the importance of remote sensing and then in taking career decision,” the notification reads.
Important Details of ISRO Free Online Course in Remote Sensing Technology
Students at participating schools should be aware of the following important details regarding ISRO’s free online course in remote sensing technology:
- This course is reserved for schoolchildren in classes 10 to 12. Students belonging to higher or lower classes as well as professionals cannot register.
- Each day there will be two online conferences of 45 minutes each, one at 10:00 a.m. and another at 12:00 p.m.
- The lectures will be broadcast live on the IIRS Youtube channel.
- Participating students will be allowed to ask questions via the YouTube chat box after a five-minute break after the lecture, and a few questions will be answered by faculty during the ten-minute question and answer session.
- Students will also have to answer a quiz every day, which will be based on the two lectures that are given.
- The lectures will also be uploaded to the IIRS LMS portal at 3 p.m. daily during the course, where students can again view the recorded lectures by logging into the LMS portal with the credentials emailed during the course. course registration,
How to Register for ISRO’s Free Online Course in Remote Sensing Technology
Interested students should apply via the Official page before July 20, 2021. Here are some of the details that will be required when filling out the form:
- Name of students and their parents.
- Date of birth and gender.
- Mobile number, Aadhaar number and email address of students.
- The student photo must be uploaded in jpeg format.
- Full name, address, email address, school phone number of participating students.
- A captcha code must then be entered to validate the form.
Once students successfully apply for the course, they will receive login credentials for the learning management system portal on their email address, therefore students should ensure to provide the email address. correct email.
How to get an ISRO certificate for a free online course
Participating students will be required to attempt a quiz based on the two lectures given each day, which will also be uploaded at 3 p.m. and will be available until 10 a.m. the following day. An ISRO certificate for the free online course will only be awarded if the total quiz score is at least 55% by the end of the course. Participating students are advised to go through the course brochure in detail before submitting applications.