ISRO offers a free 7-day online course on geocomputing and geoweb services
ISRO has called for applications for a free 7-day online course titled Basics of Geocomputation and Geoweb Services
ISRO is currently accepting applications from students and professionals for a free 7-day online course entitled “Basics of Geocomputation and Geoweb Services”. The course is the fourth module offered by the Indian Institute of Remote Sensing (IIRS) under its Outreach Programme. The three previously proposed modules are Remote Sensing and Digital Image Analysis, Global Navigation Satellite System and Geographic Information System. All course participants with 70% attendance and 40% passing grades will receive an ISRO certificate.
The program is sponsored by the Indian Space Research Organization, Department of Space, Government of India. To participate in the course, interested organizations, universities, departments, institutes must identify a coordinator from their side who will register their institute online as a nodal center on the IIRS website. Participants must register online via the registration page by selecting their organization as the hub. The coordinator must approve participants from their institute for each course prior to the program start date.
What will ISRO’s free online course on geocomputing and geoweb services cover?
Course participants will learn the following topics as part of the course:
- Introduction to geocalculation, online geographic information system and geo-web services.
- Open geodata repositories and ISRO geoweb services for thematic applications.
- Programming concepts for geocomputation: Introduction to Python and R.
- Presentation of the concept of DBMS, RDBMS and SDBMS for the management of geographic data.
- Programming Concepts for Geocomputing: Introduction to R.
- Overview of WebGIS and the application.
- Practical demonstration on the introduction to cloud-based geospatial data processing.
Who can apply for the ISRO Free Online Course?
The course is open to the following participants:
- Undergraduate and postgraduate students of any year.
- Central or state government technical or scientific personnel.
- Professors or researchers from universities or institutions.
How to register for ISRO’s free online course on geocomputing and geoweb services
- Interested participants should register with the official site by providing their data such as email address and mobile phone number.
- Participants can also register using individual registration option, if their institute is not registered under IIRS Outreach Network by entering Indian Institute of Remote Sensing, Dehradun as the center nodal.
- Entrants will receive the registration number upon successful submission of the application in the form of web page posting and email message.
- Entrants can then activate their account by clicking on the link that will be sent to the registered email address.
- Once the account is activated and the email is verified, the application will be available for the selection process to the institute, course coordinator or director who can approve or reject the application.
- All approved participants will receive an approval email with their IIRS E-class platform login credentials.
- Course study materials like lecture slides, video-recorded lectures, open source software, and demonstration materials will be made available through the online class.
- Classes can also be followed via the IIRS YouTube channel.
- The content of the sessions will be available offline after 24 hours on the e-class portal.