The British Council offers a free online course to understand IELTS
The British Council and FutureLearn have collaborated to develop Understanding IELTS Techniques for English Language Tests. This is an interactive, elaborate and free online course designed to help people from non-English speaking countries learn the language. This course is for people around intermediate level B1 and above.
This is a six-week course that focuses on the International English Language Testing System (IELTS). It is planned to start on October 2, 2017.
IELTS course details
- Course level: Introduction
- Course Duration: Six weeks
- Student effort: 2 hours per week
- Course subject: English
- Administrative institutions: FutureLearn in collaboration with the British Council
- Course language: English
- Financial cost for the student: None
- Certificate of proof: Yes
- Session: The course starts on October 2, 2017
This online English language course is offered by FutureLearn and the British Council. The British Council’s well-known work in English, Education and Society and the Arts aims to help millions around the world learn, experience the creativity and excellence of the UK.
Millions of gifted and talented individuals of all ages, especially young people, have the opportunity to engage online and face-to-face while learning English and developing life-saving new skills. They also have the opportunity to study in the UK, earn degrees and generally experience life in the UK.
FutureLearn offers participants the opportunity to gain knowledge from leading cultural institutes and universities around the world. These modules are presented to the learner in chunks for their convenience. They are accessible on desktop computers, tablets and even mobile phones.
About the course
This course is designed to offer useful information to anyone considering taking an English language test, such as the IELTS. It also offers valuable information and tips for anyone who just wants to learn English.
This course focuses primarily on the International English Language Testing System (IELTS). This system is the most recognized English test for international migration and higher education. It is recognized and accepted by more than 9,000 institutions and organizations, professional organizations, immigration authorities, employers and higher education institutions around the world. Statistics indicate that more than 2.2 million people have taken the test in various parts of the globe in the past year alone.
Why do you need to take the course?
- This online course is designed to enhance your experimental design and scientific thinking skills. All of this is aimed at improving your in-depth knowledge and understanding of the English language.
- Course candidates are entitled to receive certificates signed by the instructors. The credentials also bear the logo of the institution that offered the course. Such support will greatly improve the future aspects of the individual’s career.
- During each phase of the course, a team of experienced IELTS educators and the video tutor will offer guidance to participants.
- All course candidates will be encouraged to share opinions, advice and general experiences with each other in order to create a well-rounded learning environment.
- This course also allows participants to acquire a certificate of participation for their future use. This is a certificate available for purchase and it indicates that the person mentioned has participated in a course offered by FutureLearn.
This course is offered completely free of charge by Future Learn in collaboration with the British Council.
Skills acquired at the end of the Understanding IELTS course, anyone who has participated in it:
- Be well versed in all aspects of the IELTS test
- Be well equipped with guidance to enable them to achieve their IELTS ambitions
- Be able to know how the test is administered and assessed
- Have had the opportunity to have their written and spoken English skills assessed by their peers
Course instructors: Alister Widdowson
Mr. Widdowson has been teaching English for 20 years. He now focuses more on developing and conducting online English courses.
Course Requirements This course is aimed at non-native English speakers who may be around the intermediate level. It could be around B1 or above CEFR.
How to register for the course?
- Visit the FutureLearn website at www.futurelearn.com
- Select and join the course you want
- As soon as the course as the course he would have chosen begins, the candidate will have access to all the necessary course material
- When the course begins, all registered learners will be able to access it by clicking on the “Go to course” link on the “My courses” page.
- Upon completion, candidates will be able to pay and receive certificates that they have completed a course on FutureLearn.
Some FutureLearn courses require participants to pay for an exam in order for them to take the exam that qualifies them for a statement of achievement. The Statement of Achievement is a printed certificate bearing the university’s mark that will prove that the appointee has completed the subject of the course.