ISRO offers a free online course on space technology for teachers that can be completed in five days
ISRO will soon be launching online applications for a free online space technology course for teachers. The online course entitled “Space Technology and Applications” will run from May 31 to June 4, 2021. The course aims to raise awareness and build the capacity of school teachers on the use of space technology and its applications. Online applications for the course will commence on the Indian Institute of Remote Sensing website from 5th May 2021.
The course has a limited number of places, and therefore learners will be accepted on a first-come, first-served basis, the organization explains. The course will be most suitable for teachers in schools teaching grades 9-12 across all councils. However, it would be best suited for teachers teaching science, math, or geography. Those unable to register can also watch the classes live on the IIRS-Edusat YouTube channel.
What will ISRO’s free online space technology course cover?
The course will cover the following topics over a period of five days to give participating teachers an understanding of space technology:
- Space technology and the Indian space program.
- Satellite communication and navigation technology and its applications.
- Satellite meteorology and meteorological applications.
- Planetary sciences.
- Astronomy and space sciences.
- Satellite earth observations and remote sensing technology.
- Remote sensing applications in governance.
The course will also present experiences in reading satellite images for information retrieval and provide access to geodata from online data repositories and problem solving using GIS.
How to register for the ISRO Free Online Space Technology Course?
Interested participants can begin online applications by doing the following:
- Teachers from participating schools will need to create their account on the IIRS online learning site and activate the account via a link that will be sent by email.
- An online application will need to be completed and proof of employment will also need to be submitted.
- Once the application has been reviewed and a candidate has been approved, they will receive an admission email with IIRS E-CLASS platform login credentials.
- Participants will be required to attend classes according to the schedule and their attendance will be automatically recorded.
- An option to provide course feedback will also be given.
How do I receive an ISRO certificate for a free online course?
Participants reaching 70% attendance will receive a certificate of attendance during the IIRS ISRO course, and the certificates will be sent to the registered email address. Those wishing to enroll in the course are invited to visit the official site for more information.