ISRO Invites Students to Apply for Free Online Course in Remote Sensing with Certificate
ISRO has invited applications from students who are in any year of their degree or post-graduation for a free online course on “Basics of Remote Sensing, Geographic Information System and Global satellite navigation”. The free online ISRO course will run from August 16 to November 26, 2021. Participants will also receive an ISRO certificate based on 70% attendance and 40% passing grades.
No specific hardware or software is required to take the courses, and participants can take the course through the E-CLASS platform of the Indian Institute of Remote Sensing (IIRS), ISRO or using the YouTube channel of the IIRS. Suppose attendees miss a class, they can access it through the session content, which will be made available offline after 24 hours on the e-class portal. Besides students, working professionals can also take the course.
Who can take the ISRO Free Online Course?
IIRS conducts these courses free of charge because the use of remote sensing, geographic information system, global navigation satellite system and related geospatial technologies is increasing at a rapid rate, thus creating an urgent demand for manpower. qualified work. Course recipients may include:
- Central, state, private universities and academic institutions.
- Central and state government organizations or departments.
- research institutes,
- Geospatial industry.
- Undergraduate and postgraduate students of any year.
- Technical or scientific personnel of central or state government, professors or researchers of universities or institutions.
How do I take the ISRO Free Online Course?
Participants have two options, either opting for the complete Basics of Remote Sensing, GIS and GNSS course consisting of five modules which will run from August to November 26, 2021, or opting for three of the following courses:
- Remote sensing and digital image analysis (August 16, 2021 to September 10, 2021): Basic principles of remote sensing, Earth observation sensors and platforms, spectral signature of the different land cover characteristics, image interpretation , thermal and microwave remote sensing, digital image processing: basic concepts of rectification and registration, enhancement, classification and accuracy assessment techniques.
- Global Navigation Satellite System (September 13-24, 2021): Introduction to GPS and GNSS, receivers, processing methods, errors and accuracy.
- Geographic Information System (September 27, 2021 to October 22, 2021): GIS, databases, topology, spatial analysis and open source software.
- Basics of geocalculation and geoweb services (October 25, 2021 to September 02, 2021): Geocalculation and geoweb services.
- RS and GIS applications (November 8 to 26, 2021): Agriculture and soils, forest and ecology, geosciences and geohazards, marine and atmospheric sciences, urban and regional studies and water resources.
How do I register for ISRO’s free online course?
Participants can register via their respective institutes or also opt for individual registration on the official site. To participate in the outreach program of IIRS, interested organizations, universities, departments or institutes must identify a coordinator from their side. The identified coordinator will register their institute online as a nodal center on the IIRS website. Participants must register online via the registration page by selecting their organization as the hub, and the coordinator will need to approve their participation. Currently, 10,000 places are available in ISRO’s full free online course and 5,000 places in the individual modules; therefore, applicants will be admitted on a first-come, first-served basis. Candidates are invited to go through the course brochure in detail for more information.