ISRO invites students to apply for a free online course on the Global Navigation Satellite System
ISRO is currently accepting applications for a free online Global Navigation Satellite System course, which can be taken by students and professionals. The course is the 87th outreach program of Indian Institute of Remote Sensing (IIRS), a unit of Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO), Department of Space, Government of India. The course will run from September 13 to 24, 2021. Course participants will be introduced to GPS and GNSS, receivers, processing methods, errors and accuracy.
Course participants will be able to access course study materials, such as course slides, video-recorded lectures, open-source software, and demonstration materials on the e-class platform. In addition, video lectures will also be uploaded to the IIRS learning management system. An ISRO certificate will also be awarded to students based on 70% attendance and 40% passing grades. Experts from IIRS ISRO and other knowledge institutions will host the live and interactive sessions.
Topics to Cover in the ISRO Free Online Course
The course aims to train the workforce in the global navigation satellite system and associated geospatial technologies, as the use of these technologies is increasing rapidly. Some of the topics that will be covered in the ISRO Free Online Course are:
- Introduction to GPS and GNSS.
- GPS receivers, processing methods, errors and accuracy.
- Satellite Based Augmentation Systems and Augmented GPS and GEO Assisted Navigation (GAGAN).
- GPS signal characteristics and data formats, including broadcast and precise ephemeris.
- Indian Regional Navigation Satellite System (IRNSS).
- DGPS demonstration.
- Advanced GNSS processing.
Who can take the ISRO Free Online Course?
The course is open to the following participants:
- Undergraduate and postgraduate students of any year.
- Technical or scientific personnel of central or state government, professors or researchers of universities and institutions.
Requirements for ISRO Free Online Course
There are no specific hardware or software requirements to take the course, and participants will need to have the following basic equipment:
- Desktop with webcam microphone and speaker out or laptop with camera microphone and speaker out.
- Individuals can attend the live class through any web browser on the eclass portal of IIRS Dehradun or the official YouTube channel of the institute.
- The participant can also attend the course via his personal smartphone.
How to Register for ISRO Free Online Course
Interested participants can register for the course via the official site as individuals or through the nodal institute. To participate in the outreach program of IIRS, interested organizations, universities, departments or institutes must identify a coordinator from their side who will register their institute online as a nodal center on the IIRS website. The coordinator will need to approve course participants. Participants can also register using the individual registration option if their institute is not registered with the IIRS Outreach Network. In this case, the Indian Institute of Remote Sensing, Dehradun will be the nodal centre.