IIT Kharagpur invites applications for Free Online Course on Machine Learning for Soil and Crop Management
IIT Kharagpur offered a free 12-week online course on Machine Learning for Soil and Crop Management on NPTEL
IIT Kharagpur has called for applications for a free 12-week online course titled “Machine Learning for Soil and Crop Management” for which students of Agricultural Engineering, Agriculture and Environmental Sciences can apply. This course has been designed for undergraduate students who wish to understand and apply their knowledge of machine learning, deep learning, digital soil mapping, image processing and wearable sensors to develop an integrated and advanced soil management system and cultures.
The course will be led by Prof. Somsubhra Chakraborty, Assistant Professor (Soil Science) in the Department of Agricultural and Food Engineering, Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur. The professor is currently a member of the editorial board of Geoderma, the world journal of soil science. Course participants can also obtain certificates by paying Rs 1000 and passing an exam.
What will the IIT Kharagpur Free Online Course on Machine Learning Cover?
- Overview of machine learning and deep learning applications in agriculture.
- Basics of multivariate data analysis.
- Principal component analysis and regression applications in agriculture.
- Applications of classification and grouping methods in agriculture.
- Diffuse reflectance spectroscopy: Basics and applications for crops and soil.
- Use of Ml for wearable proximal soil and crop sensors.
- Machine learning and deep learning for soil and crop image processing.
- UAV and machine learning applications in agriculture.
- Hyperspectral remote sensing and machine learning applications in agriculture.
- Digital soil mapping.
The aim is to cover various applications of machine learning and deep learning methods for better soil and crop management. Some of the topics that will be covered are:
Important Details of IIT Kharagpur Free Online Course on Machine Learning
The course will run from January 24 to April 15, 2022. The course is free to register and learn. However, those wishing to obtain a certificate will need to register and take the proctored exam conducted by NPTEL in person at one of the designated exam centers. An online registration form must be completed and certification exam fees must be paid. People wishing to register are advised to go through the official site for more information.